Sunday, January 27, 2008

Obama Endorsements January 14-28


My most popular post so far has been Barack Obama Endorsements [January 4-14], which I posted two weeks ago. [For a current list, see Running List of Obama Endorsements.]  Since that time, there have been several high profile endorsements.  Most moving of all was the stunning endorsement from Caroline Kennedy, daughter of JFK, delivered through a New York Times Op Ed piece entitled A President Like My Father.  She ends,

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

[John F. Kennedy speech at Rice University on 12 September 1962, a year after the space program was ramped up, and less than seven years before the moon landing.]

Of course, Obama does not have plans to take us to the Moon, and as I said, space is best explored by robots for now.  But I believe that Barack Obama can inspire us and lead us to tackle the problems of our time.

Here is a list of the individuals above:
  • Senator Edward Kennedy (of Massachusetts, brother of JFK)
  • Caroline Kennedy (daughter of JFK)
  • Senator Patrick Leahy (of Vermont)
  • Former Senator Jean Carnahan (of Missouri)
  • Congressman Rick Boucher (of Virginia)
Here are some recent newspaper endorsements of Obama:
  • San Francisco Chronicle
  • San Jose Mercury News
  • Modesto Bee
  • Santa Barbara Independent
  • New York Observer
  • St. Louis Post-Dispatch
  • Arizona Republic
  • Philadelphia Inquirer 
  • Chicago Tribune
  • Seattle Times
  • Rocky Mountain News

No comments: